Fringe for Free – The Emergency Monologues 9:15pm

contest-web-graphic EYE gives this one 4 stars, but warns it is “not for the squeamish.”  I know that I couldn’t handle this one, I can’t deal with when someone tells me about how they cut themselves while chopping onions, so, I’ll be honest, this one would probably have me squirming in my seat.  That said, if you are okay with that kind of thing, apparently The Emergency Monologues is a hilarious show.

Win yourself this pair of tickets, and then let us know what you thought.  Did the funny outstrip the squeamish?  To enter the draw for the pair of free tickets, all you need to do is leave a comment* sometime before 7:00pm Today (Thursday) at the George Ignatieff Theatre (Venue 10, 15 Devonshire Place).

More information about the show:

The Emergency Monologues

Drinking Well Productions

Written and performed by Morgan Jones Phillips

Directed by Evalyn Parry

The Emergency Monologues is a storytelling adventure about being a Paramedic in downtown Toronto.  In his own animated and energetic way, Morgan tells stories based on his years of EMS experience.  You’ll hear about the gritty, ridiculous, bizarre and true side of the “emergencies” that don’t make the news.  It’s hard to believe how hard you’ll laugh at stories about events that are so horrible, but comedy=tragedy+time.  And after all, someone has to do it and better him than you.

The Emergency Monologues is guaranteed to leave you with a new perspective on the people who respond to 911 emergencies and about the people who call for them.

His book of short stories (also aptly titled, The Emergency Monologues), which was based on his play, was featured in a three-day series in The National Post. The Emergency Monologues won the NOW Audience Choice Award at the 2008 SummerWorks Theatre Festival.

George Ignatieff Theatre, 15 Devonshire Place

One block South and East of St. George and Bloor st West

Friday July 3 at 8:45 pm

Saturday July 4 at 9:15 pm

Sunday July 5 at 5:15 pm
Tuesday July 7 at 3:15 pm

Wednesday July 8 at 12:15 pm

Thursday July 9 at 9:15 pm

Saturday July 11 at 3:30 pm

All shows are 10$

www.emergencymonologues.com

Fringe Hot-line 416-966-1062

*be sure to include your email address in the email address field so I can reach you – it won’t show up to people coming to the site.  If you won’t be near your email, please send me an email at info@mooneyontheatre.com to let me know an alternative way to reach you – please include “Particulars Contest” in the subject line.

0 thoughts on “Fringe for Free – The Emergency Monologues 9:15pm”

1. Also interested in this one – but suspect I will only be able to get to one of these tonight due to timing between shows & time required to get to the venues. So your pick. 🙂

2. My sister is a nursing student and I think would love this. She was fanatical about ER and is now hooked on Grey’s Anatomy, so this would be great for her.

3. This has been on my list since I first read the description in the program booklet. I love gore! I love medicine! Gore! Medicine, Gore, medicine!

4. Morgan Jones Phillips regales his audiences with stories gleaned from his experiences as an emergency paramedic. Sometimes horrifying; sometimes moving and somehow always funny, the tales Phillips tells completely engage the audience. While some are more anecdote than story, Phillips’ charm and natural ability as a raconteur more than make up for any missing intrinsic dramatic structure. With each spin of The Wheel of Misfortune, another story unfolds. He only has time to tell a small portion of his repertoire. Phillips leaves it to the audience to choose the last one. Our audience chose The Penis Guy. The hour went by quickly and left us wanting more. There is only one more chance to see this show. Don’t miss it. Phillips’ skill as a storyteller make it very worthwhile.